I looked on Activestate site and found a Python script, but nothing from Perl.
Also looked on CPAN, but nothing stood out or I am using the wrong words in search.

        Anyone done it? I am attempting to go to ATT WireLess. I have a running
application, but want to have a separate process checking that it is up and working.
If it goes down, I want to send a text message to my phone.

        Thanks.

Wags ;)

This message contains information that is confidential
and proprietary to FedEx Freight or its affiliates.
It is intended only for the recipient named and for
the express purpose(s) described therein.
Any other use is prohibited.