I would try:

s/\n//g;

This should replace every newline with nothing, globally.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
David Byrne
Sent: Wednesday, October 08, 2003 4:09 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [SPAM] newline...be gone

Greetings,

I have a question that probably easy to many...

How can I get rid of the newline at the end of $line
(which transfers to $remainder after splitting)?

foreach $filename (@filelist) {
    open(INPUT,"$filename");
    foreach $line (<INPUT>) {
      chomp($line);
      my ($gene,$remainder) = split(/\t/,$line,2);
      chomp ($remainder);
      $genedex{$gene} .= "$remainder\t";

I've tried substituting, chomping, but the newline
remains.  It's gotta be something obvious...

Thank you very much,
David