Assuming that you are able to get throught the proxy using your browser,
then we should focus on the name of the environment variable and
the value set for it.

On both my windows sytem and my Unix (solaris) system, I use:

http_proxy=http://myproxy.domain.foo:80

You will need to set replace "myproxy.domain.foo" with the
name of your proxy server. The ":80" after it specifies the
port that the proxy listens on. Note the lowercase letters
used for the environment variable "http_proxy". This may (or
may not) be important on your system -- I think Win32 systems
tend to ignore casing but not sure.

Make sure that your proxy environment variables are indeed
set by typing this at the command prompt (if not maybe you
forgot to "export" them):

  set

Anyway, some ideas to look at. May not help depending on
your situation.

--
Mike Arms