Hi all,

I have been struggling to understand the Telnet Protocol, but the RFC's are like greek, and there are no good books for covering Telnet, and my mind is too stupid to wrap around it.

I would like to create a telnet like protocol, that is easy for my own use. How do you go about redirecting IO from the command shell, over sockets, and emulate on the other end.
eg, suppose I instantiate the prompt, "open( PRMPT, "cmd.exe |"); on the server script. - this is not useful, because it creates a separate process, so you cannot manipulate it over a socket.
how do you grab the separate process and send IO to the socket?

also, how do i send console graphics over socket, suppose i were to instantiate dos "edit".

Then there is the issue of moving typing across the screen, backspace, delete, space, tab, enter etc.

One idea I have, (and this may sound stupid), is to download (on-the-fly) the program (eg "edit") or find a local copy and instantiate it locally, making it seem as if you are running it on the server, when it is actually on the client. then, lets say you save the text file, the file once saved, gets uploaded to the server.......sounds funny..eh...still may be hard.....and there are alot of unusual console apps.

Any Ideas, anyone?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jeremy A.