On 2/24/2004 2:19 PM, Capacio, Paula J wrote:

On 02/23/04 22:29, Kamal Ahmed wrote:

Dear Perlers,

I have found that just copying the .pm modules which I untared

On 02/23/04 23:35, Randy W. Sims wrote:

This is a very, very, very bad habit which some people have adopted. This will not always work correctly even for pure perl module.
Sometimes files must be passed through a filter before being installed. You
should never do this unless you've examined the Makefile.PL for any hints of anything that might need to be done before installing, and you should understand all the behind the scenes actions which MakeMaker performs and know if you need to manually perform them. I.e. don't do it. And please don't spread this /advice/.

CPAN itself recommends the copy approach here:
http://search.cpan.org/~jhi/perl-5.8.0/pod/perlmodinstall.pod

Future versions of perl will no longer make this suggestion:

<http://public.activestate.com/gsar/APC/perl-current/pod/perlmodinstall.pod>