Hello listers,
I am using "Learning Perl on Win 32 Systems" and am having a problem(a
pretty hasic problem) with one of the programs in the book.  I cammot get
the variables $somename and $someguess to value.  I have checked and
de-bugged this thing amd can't figure out what is wrong.  Maybe I have been
looking at it too long.
Thanks for any words of wisdom.
Eric
#!/usr/bin/perl
init_words();
print "What is your name? \n";
chomp ($name = <>P;
if ($name =~ /^erik\b/i)
{
   print "Hello, $name!  How good og you to be here.\n";
}
else
{
   print "Hello, $name!\n";
   print "What is the secret word? \n";
   chomp ($guess = <>);
   while (! good_word($name,$guess))
   {
      print "Wrong, try again.  What is the secret word? \n";
      chomp ($guess = <>);
##    subroutines from here down
sub init_words
{
   open (WORDSLIST, "wordslist.dat") ||
            die "can't open wordslist:$!";
   if (-M WORDSLIST > 7.0)
   {
      die "Sorry, the wordslist is older than seven days.";
   }
   while (defined ($name = <WORDSLIST>))
   {
      chomp ($name);
      $word = <WORDSLIST>;
      chomp ($word);
      $words{$name} = $word;
   }
   close (WORDSLIST);
}

sub good_word
{
   my ($somename, $someguess) = @_;
   $somename =~ s/\w.*//;
   $somename =~ tr/A-Z/a-z/;
   if ($somename eq "erik")
   {
      return 1;
   }
   elsif (($words{$somename} || "groucho") eq $someguess)
   {
      return 1;
   }
   else