From: Michael D. Smith [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, March 09, 2004 9:43 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: system

I too have noticed that 'system' commands that worked on win98, don't on

win2000 pro.

For instance, I could execute a shortcut (using start.exe), that I can
find
no way to do on 2k.

This:

system("cmd /c dir /s");

does work on 2k. But this syntax:

system('cmd', '/c', 'dir', '/s');

I have found to be more reliable on windoze. And if you put in the full
path even more so.

And this original one:

system("dir /s");

looks like *NIX to me but win98 would call/use start.exe automatically
(sometimes -- if it felt like it:), so it could've worked on 98. Double
quotes with no interpolation look *INX as well.

You can't really expect a script to go from *INX to Windoze without some

tweaking. I did expect them to go from 98 to 2000, but almost every one
required some fixing and some, I still haven't found the correct method
and/or syntax.

ms

Don't die...

With your music still within you.