This combined with this quote from Anton:

  I'm trying to avoid people looking at the data without proper access

sounds like he is wanting to do some really simplistic encryption
of his data that will be stored in a database accessible by
others. Anton, this will be incredibly easy to decipher.
Maybe you should look into the real Crypt::* modules to
significantly increase your security. Of course, this depends
on you not storing your keys in the clear either (and a list
of other concerns).

--
Mike Arms