hi mark,

"I need to crate an program that looks through a text file",

i would suggest looking into something called "regular expressions", or "regex".  it's faster than parsing by using sub-strings.  there is also an o'reilly book on it; i believe its worth the investment.

regards,

Jeff Griffiths wrote:
Thomas, Mark - BLS CTR wrote:
Hi, i am a student at collage who has never used Perl before. I need to crate an program that looks through a text file, find the data need and put it in an graph.  I have no idea how to go about this . can any one out there help me with this. your help will be much appreciated.

Thank you for your help.

I am using Perl at collage on a windows 2000 computers.

This was already posted in perl-win32-web. Please see the answers there.

...actually as far as I can see, Divyesh posted to every mailing list he could find =)

Divyesh:

To run Perl scripts, you will need to download and install a Perl distribution such as ActivePerl. You can get ActivePerl here:

http://activestate.com/Products/Download/Download.plex?id=ActivePerl

For recent versions of Windows, I would recommend the MSI installer for ActivePerl 5.8.3 build 809.

Once Perl is installed, go to Start / Run, enter 'CMD' in the Open field and press Enter. This should open up a DOS command prompt. At the prompt, type

perl -v

Let me know what the output is, it SHOULD BE version information for
ActivePerl.

To evaluate perl code on the command line, you can do this:

C:\>perl -e "print \"hello world\";"

Please note that in order to print a string you need to escape any quotes in the actual code.

To run a script, do this:

c:\>perl scriptname.pl

Here is a link to a free online book targeted at new Perl developers:

http://learn.perl.org/library/beginning_perl/

cheers, JeffG

- Mark.