----- Original Message -----
From: "Joe Youngquist" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Dirk Bremer (NISC)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>;
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, April 09, 2004 13:29
Subject: Re: MySQL/Perl

> from the DBI docs:
>
> the connect string is:
> $dbh = DBI->connect($data_source, $username, $auth, \%attr);
>
> where data_source = "DBI:mysql:NameOfDatabase:HostNameOrIP",
> where username = "allowable username" (try root first, root should always
> have permissions to databases, so the removes a possible user permission
> issue),
> where auth = "users_password" (default mysql install on Window's the
"root"
> user password is blank ... very secure!)
>
> Assuming your database is on the computer your running the test scripts
from
> try:
> --------------------
> use DBI;
> my $dbh = DBI->connect('DBI:mysql:mysql:dbremer', 'root', '')
>                  or die "\nI could not connect to the
> database\n$DBI::errstr";
> $dbh->disconnect;
> exit(0);
> ------------------
> if your Perl.exe is still crashing, try removing DBI and DBD::Mysql and
> reinstalling them.

Removing DBI and DBD::mysql and then reinstalling them proved to be the
trick. Thanks to everyone for assisting me with all of my questions and I
wish everyone a great weekend with decent weather to boot!

Dirk Bremer - Systems Programmer II - ESS/AMS  - NISC St. Peters
USA Central Time Zone
636-922-9158 ext. 8652 fax 636-447-4471

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.nisc.cc