most sites use cookies to trace logins. you'll need to save any cookies that the site sends, and return them to the server with each request.

some sites use a challenge/response authentication which basically involves the site returning a 403 error, and then your agent re-requests, sending the user/pass this time - not sure on the specifics but should be easy enough to google.

I have no idea how this applies to LWP(as I dont use it), but this is how password protected sites work - hopefully its enough information for you to get it working with LWP :)