"Thomas, Mark - BLS CTR" wrote:

> > The mail server has to run on a windows box. Up to now there
> > is no specific server determined. So I am looking for a free
> > mail server (free of $) if possible. I would prefer a  server
> > which can initiate the Perl program by itself as you stated below.
>
> Is launching perl program(s) the only reason for wanting a mail server?

yes
the full scenario is:
a client sends data from internet to a server in an intranet. For security reasons
this should be done by mail. Therefor a mailserver will be setup in DMZ.

> Do you have or can you set up an account somewhere you can check for the
> emails? If so, you could just use one of the POP3 or IMAP modules and
> retrieve email, taking whatever actions necessary.

yes, this is possible. I think this is a good solution. The only downer is
that the initiative can not go from pop server when new mail arrives.
But this is a problem of minor priority and can be solved by higher polling rate of
the pop3 module.

> Otherwise you could use a mail server module like Net::Server::Mail to
> receive email and take what actions are necessary.
>
> If you need to handle regular mail users too in any volume, you'll probably
> want to set up a real mail server (any that handle POP3 or IMAP clients will
> do) and then poll it using a POP3 or IMAP module.
>
> --
> Mark Thomas                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Internet Systems Architect     User Technology Associates, Inc.
>
> $_=q;KvtuyboopuifeyQQfeemyibdlfee;; y.e.s. ;y+B-x+A-w+s; ;y;y; ;;print;;

Michael

--
|   AED-SICAD Aktiengesellschaft |   EMail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]  |