On Thu, 27 May 2004, Jared Squires wrote:

> Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 08:46:07 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Jared Squires <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: CGI Help for a Newbie...
>
> That's the thing... I don't want to have to deal with
> the problems of maintaining a server.  My
> father-in-law is very twitchy when it comes to company
> information that even has a modem in it.
>
> What Im trying to learn I guess.  Will "myform.html"
> with some kind of HTML like <form ... method = post
> action="c:\perl\mycgi.pl"> work on a client-ONLY
> computer that has PERL installed on it.  Is the
> "method = post" part of the server protocol, or is it
> something else.

Greetings;

Well, you can do what you want to do, but why bother? Do you
want to spend your time creating a great application or
figuring out ways to get around the problems involved in not
having a real server?

Since you are not attached to the 'net you don't have to
worry about all the terrible things you have heard about.

As far as "the problems of maintaining a server" there
aren't any. The problems arise because servers are usually
connected to the internet and are publicly accessible, and
all the things that are associated with that. Yours won't
be.

If you have the Activestate and Apache CDs you can start in
the morning, have both installed and working by noon, and
have something running by dinner time. Just tell Apache to
listen on localhost port 80.

I maintain five web sites using such a configuration and I
tried what you are thinking of. Then I found out that Apache
runs on Windows. I installed it and haven't regretted it.

Good Luck!
Dennis