check your platform somehow, and make modules for each that expose a common interface,
so you can pull one out and drop in the other with a minimum of fuss.

you could then eval{} the correct one, or put them in separate files and do() the
filename. both of these are somewhat similar to the use keyword, and in your
circumstance provide pretty much what you're looking for.

if both expose the same methods, you now have a fork() call that works transparently
under solaris and win32.