FYI:  WinZip V9 now encrypts using the AES (Rijndael) U.S. NIST standard using either 128-bit or 256-bit encryption keys.

Willem Hengeveld <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

07/29/2004 10:59 AM

        To:        "Ignacz, Alex" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        cc:        [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Subject:        Re: Any way to process passwords in Archive::Zip ????

On Thu, Jul 29, 2004 at 07:55:47AM -0600, Ignacz, Alex wrote:
> Hi there, my client has a set of files they want zipped up and then
> password encoded or decoded (if I'm extracting from the archive). With
> the password being able to be processed by a commercial zip utility like
> WinZip.
>
> Has anyone tackled this problem using Archive::Zip before?
>
> I don't want to shell out and call the real zip or pkzip programs.
> Will run in a unix environment.
> GUI interface is out, CLI only.

don't know how to do that with perl.

but beware that zip passwords do not provide a very good protection,
they are quite easily cracked.

better use something like gpg to encrypt your files.

willem