If this is personal use on your machine, why don't you install cygwin? That
will give a bash shell on your Windows box you can use for most of the
shell work that you were accustomed to. (http://www.cygwin.com/)

Just a thought.
John Wunderlich
Project Manager
Ceridian
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Tel: 514-908-3094
Fax: 514-908-3094
Mob: 514-827-7305

216 3 (superscript: ieme )Boulevard
Terrasse-Vaudreuil, QC
J7V 5R3

www.ceridian.ca

             Martin Leese
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
             tic.com>                                                   To
             Sent by:                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
             perl-win32-users-         te.com
             [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                          cc
             ActiveState.com
                                                                   Subject
                                       UNIX utilities in Perl
             11/10/2004 01:39
             PM

Hi,

I am not sure if this is the right list for this question.
I suspect it belongs on a list about CPAN, but the CPAN
site doesn't appear to mention one.

I am working on Windows, and find I keep writing very
short Perl scripts to implement UNIX utilities.  I call
them zap_grep, zap_wc, zap_unique, zap_diff, zap_sort.
My versions are very crude compared with the UNIX
originals, and I wondered if somebody had already gone
through this exercise.

A search of CPAN came up with "prep" (Perl grep), "wc",
and "uniq".
Are these modules collected together anywhere?
Should they be?
What additional UNIX utilities would be useful?  (Above,
I suggest diff and sort.)

What would be *really* useful is a method to pipe
filters together.

Regards,
Martin

ForwardSourceID:NT00023006

This communication is intended to be received only by the individual(s) or
entity(s) to whom or to which it is addressed, and contains information which
is confidential, privileged and subject to copyright. Any unauthorized use,
copying, review or disclosure is prohibited. Please notify the sender
immediately if you have received this communication in error (by calling
collect, if necessary) so that we can arrange for its return at our expense.
Thank you in advance for your anticipated assistance and cooperation.