Found the problem with some more testing.  It works on other machines in the
office.  Turns out it's how I'm launching perl.  I use TextPad with a macro
to call Perl and pass it the current file as a parameter.

When I do it that way, the window doesn't show up for some reason.  If I run
the script from a DOS window it does.

thanks
--Dan