> Are you running XP SP2 or recently upgraded?

Yes to SP2, but not recent. Recent hot fixes.. auto applied by windows
update. Recently trying to use Win32::OLE though, so no help in finding out
if this is something new.. but others seem to have similar problems. This
returns the value zero:

use strict;
use Win32::OLE;
my $Count = Win32::OLE->EnumAllObjects;

> You may need to setup your DCOM permissions.

Checked that first, but what DCOM permissions, and how do I "setup" these
permissions so that perl.exe has sufficient rights when being run as "me"?
The default permissions are in place, and seem fairly permissive as reported
in dcomcnfg. In any case, I believe that the Computer defaults specify that
launch permission and activate permission go hand in hand.. no? Since I can
launch the application, why wouldn't I be able to activate the application?
And.. I am member of Administrator group.

> Your ID may not have rights to access the COM objects on your local PC.

I can use Internet Explorer and the Win32::OLE - Type Library Browser to
enumerate objects in Internet Explorer. I can use the Microsoft OLEView
application to enumerate and view objects. I can use mmc viewer to adjust
security settings of My Computer and individual DCOM items at an
administrative level.

> Under the "Component Services" mmc you can manage the permissions for
> your PC "My computer", or you can manage individual objects.

Yup. Just in case, I added my specific username to the default permissions
at the Computer level with access to both local and remote rights in all
contexts. What is very odd is that Win32::OLE is unable to enumerate
objects, but it *is* allowed to launch them using the same interface.

> Start->run->dcomcnfg  (This will get you into the MMC.)

uh huh..

I'm still not certain that this behavior isn't just restricted to my machine
and a few other users. Is there a maintainer of the Win32::OLE core who can
set the record straight here?

Richard