Dear list members:

First of all, I am very sorry for the cross-posting of my message and if my
message seems of-topic for some Perl lists to which I
have just subscribed.

My name is Ahmed Khater.  We, myself and one of my colleagues, are scholars in
linguistics and are planning to be specialized in
computational linguistics.  We live
in Egypt.

After much search, we found that Perl is one of the perfect languages which
could be used for creating codes relevant and useful
computational linguistics research activities.  We are pretty new to
programming though we are advanced computer users of Windows
platform and many of  its related software applications.  We downloaded the
stable production release of the complete Perl source
code distribution: (stable.tar.tar) from the following Web site:
http://www.perl.com/download.csp.  Then, we didn't know
how to use this utility.  Next, We downloaded the ActivePerl binary
distribution for Win32 which works with Windows:
(ActivePerl-5.8.6.811-MSWin32-x86-122208.zip) from the
following web site:
http://www.activestate.com/Products/Download/Download.plex?id=ActivePerl.  We
installed this utility.  Now,
We need to learn this language and how to use it via the utilities we have
donloaded but We don't know how and where to start.

Could you send me either on or off the list your your suggestions as to how to
start learning Perl within the Windows environment
because we don't use unix?  We are searching for electronic publications, books
and documents that help us know basic programming
concepts that pave the way for us to learn Perl in addition to documentation on
Perl itself but for beginners.

Further, we would like to find technical assistance while we are learning this
language on my own.  I hope that we can find the
technical assistance here.

Thanks are due to all who will read my post and, above all, to those who will
possibly respond to it.

Ahmed Khater
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
It's always hope that gives meaning to life