You can always stay single-threaded and use POE::Component::Client::Ping.  If
you aren't familiar with POE, though, it may present a bit of a learning curve.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of
Dietmar Fiehn, Dr.
Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2005 2:03 AM
To: perl-win32-users@listserv.ActiveState.com
Subject: AW: ithreads

        In order to resolve a networking problem in a timely manner I required
to make use of threads (particular the ithreads implimentation).

        The only problem is that the memory usage rockets as each thread starts
it's own perl interpreter. I need roughly 3000 connection threads to be able to
obtain the required information within 2 mins. If I use a single thread the
time can take between 0 mins to 3000 mins to complete, depending on how many
response timeouts one obtains. I have been able to create 150 thread
connections before running out of RAM. Keeping within the RAM limit, I am able
to retrieve the information from 150 PCs within 2 mins, making use of a real
bad situation setup where at least half will timeout delibrately.

        Is there a way to instruct perl to only load one copy of the perl code
into RAM and create separate data segments with their own instruction pointers
for each thread?

        Thanx

Please give us some more information about the type of information you are
requesting and the protocoll used. Maybe you can do some parallel requests
without threads.

Dietmar