Hi Eric,

ericv wrote:
ok Bill,
I am talk about the function read_password which is part of the Term module.
It apparently works in all other platforms ( unix, etc...) but is know not to
work on Win32 ( and i confirm that!)
I am working on a command line script, and need to input a password from the console, and obviously
i would avoid to show it explicitly.
Any ideas ?

TermReadkey works on Win32. Not as well as on Linux/Unix, but it works.
Not pretty but it works too :-D

[EMAIL PROTECTED] scripts $ cat password.pl
#!/usr/bin/perl

use strict;
use warnings;
use Term::ReadKey;

my $name;
my $password;

print "Your name?: ";
$name = GetInput();
print "Your password: ";
$password = GetInput("passwd");
print "\n";

sub GetInput {
  my $token;
  $_ = shift;
  ReadMode('noecho') if defined $_ && ( $_ eq "passwd" );
  while ( not defined ( $token = ReadLine(0) ) ) {
    # No key pressed yet
  }
  ReadMode('normal') if defined $_ && ( $_ eq "passwd" );
  chomp $token;
  return $token
}

Hth

Alex

Thanks

-----Original Message----- From: $Bill Luebkert [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Wed 5/25/2005 2:09 PM To: ericv Cc: perl-win32-users@listserv.ActiveState.com Subject: Re: Perl on Win32: any possibility to emule "read_password"

        ericv wrote:
        > Hi folks,
> > the question is very simple: the function "read_password" does not work on Win 32 platforms.
        > I have been searching for a solution everywhere i knew about, without
success.
> > how could I achieve my goal, that is exactly to input a password without curious people to see
        > what is written ?

        Guess what Eric, I have no idea what you're talking about.

        What's read_password ?  Part of some of your code, maybe a function
        in a Perl module, some C code maybe ?  Please be a little more explcit
        since there are ways to accept input without echoing, we just need to
        know what you're talking about - web page, commandline, GUI window ?

        --
          ,-/-  __      _  _         $Bill Luebkert    Mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
         (_/   /  )    // //       DBE Collectibles    Mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Alexander Apprich                science + computing ag
IT-Services                      Hagellocher Weg 71-75
phone   +49(0)7071 9457-291      D-72070 Tuebingen, Germany
fax     +49(0)7071 9457-211      www.science-computing.de

s+c certificates via  http://www.science-computing.de/cacert.crt