----------8<-----------
has been used succesfully on Windows98 (with the
Microsoft Speech SDK installed) and on Windows 2000
(which has it installed by default, apparently).

The same code does not, however, work on Windows XP.

What has changed?
There IS a text-to-speech service on XP.
How do I connect to it?

Check this out
http://www.microsoft.com/products/msagent/support/user/tts.asp and make
sure you can hear an agent after you have setup accordingly.

Seems that Windblows changes direction as wantonly as the wind does.

Just in

Due to the reference to certain OS' in this e-mail I need to state that
all opinions and inferences herein are mine, and do not reflect my
company's in any shape or form.