Perhaps a little follow up wisdom.
Caching can happen anywhere between the origin server and the browser, so the browser specific solution might not meet all conditions. RFC 2616 - Hypertext Transfer Protocol -- HTTP/1.1 http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2616.html is very explicit about caching. Search the contents for the phrase "no-cache" for a strong discussion. (RFC's are frequently legible if you read with the right attitude.)

Bottom line from the RFC is that you put in a line which reads:

Cache-Control: no-cache

(mind the space) in the HTTP Header - Note that this is NOT the <HEAD ... /HEAD> section of your html, but in the actual header of the file going back (the Reply header described in section 6 of the RFC). Among other things, that header declares things like "Content-Type". Perhaps the <Pragma ../Pragma> statements described below were intended to be in front of the <HEAD .../HEAD> statements. You are free to experiment, of course.

From my experience, when I put the Cache-Control directive in the stream, everybody behaved the way I wanted them to.

Microsoft's IIS at version 4 included a tab called "HTTP Headers" which permitted the addition of a custom header whose name was "Cache-Control", and whose value was "no-cache". This was to accommodate folks who read RFC's and want to do things that Microsoft hadn't yet figured out a "more Microsoft" way to do.

Jerry Kassebaum wrote:

Thank you!

It wasn't easy, but the answer was there!

I'll give the full explanation if anyone wants it, but here is the short one. The CGI and JavaScript files were updating, but not the two *.js files with the chapter and verse! So I eliminated them and put the info in the JavaScript file.

The reason I want to use the CGI/Perl file is that there are about 600 verses the program picks from, and I don't want to have to send all that to the player.

The working version is now http://biblescramble.com/ezo7.cgi.

THANK YOU SO MUCH! That was a tuff one!

#############

You said:

This article discusses some no-cache bugs in IE and a workaround.
http://www.htmlgoodies.com/beyond/reference/article.php/3472881  And
since u
have the verse in a javascript file, what u really want is the
javascript
file to be reloaded, not just the html page.  I don't know if a browser
expects .js files to change with a page reload.

But looking at what ur trying to do, I don't know why ur trying to do it
this way.  The easy was is to just load all the verses and hints into
one
javascript array and have the play again button just pick a random
number in
that range and update the page elements.  U could do this with no perl
at
all. You're really making a DHTML app.