Thank you for responding. Please see my detailed explanation, posted to Bill
Luebkert recently.

On Wednesday, June 29, 2005 10:42:45 +0200, Johan Lindstrom
[SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> If you're familiar with OO, that sounds like the way to go. You have data.
> You have subs that act on this data. That's a class right there.

I am not conversant with OO, although this approach sounds interesting.

> Create a new module for the constants.

> perldoc Exporter or
> http://search.cpan.org/~nwclark/perl-5.8.7/lib/Exporter.pm
> http://search.cpan.org/~nwclark/perl-5.8.7/lib/Exporter.pm#How_to_Export
> http://search.cpan.org/~nwclark/perl-5.8.7/lib/Exporter.pm#How_to_Import

This is a good suggestion.  I have two reservations: 1) Containment of the
number of modules. 2) Good practice would define the constants used as indices
in the same namespace as the array that uses those indices (main), not in
another module.  However, I keep having the same experience with Modula-2 --
end up creating a separate module with constants/structures/etc. common to the
other compilation units and have all the other modules import it.  Thanks for
the references.  I may go this direction.

--Neil