um... sorry Ken, you are absolutely right.

my WinXP does not allow writes to the IO port.  It does on 98, and i mistakenly
thought it was working on XP as well.

technically, I only need this to work on the manufacturing's Win98 machines,
and now methinks the working C-code might be just fine after all.

But i would like to get it to work on my XP box, so i can use this function
remotely from home.  your link will be very helpful in doing that.

thanks  :)