Title: Message
Got it! Thanks for all the help.

The problem was simply that there was a space in part of the fully qualified dirmon.pl file specification. When dirmon installs itself, it does this without enclosing the path name to itself in quotes, and haven't found a way of forcing this. With any parameters to dirmon, any quotes enclosing these are transferred into the ImagePath entry, but it generates the pathname for the dirmon.pl script itself (using Win32::GetFullPathName), and doesn't quote this. I manually patched the Dirmon entry in the registry, and this is all working fine.

As I was initially running the script that started this from the same location, and I had used exactly the same mechanism as dirmon to figure out who I was, it certainly suffers from the same problem.

Thanks also to the pointer to the sysinternals website - it all looks interesting. I had never come across this previously (I'm more or less just a dumb user on the Win32 side!).

Thanks again

Andrew