Hello Glenn,

Maybe the better approach is to create the Windows Media Player ActiveX object, and play MP3s from it, since you're staying exclusively on the Windows platform. If it can be done on VB, I am sure it is possible on ActivePerl as well.

Glenn Linderman wrote:

Hi,

I'm looking for an easy way to play a single MP3 file, on a specified audio device. Seems like most of the players (1) want to use playlists (2) don't take command line arguments (3) only play on the default device.

I'm looking for something that I can put in the Windows "open with" list, with appropriate parameters, so that I can choose to play a file on one of three audio devices, selectable by which command I open it with (batch files with parameters?).

I guess it wouldn't have to be a Perl solution, even, but if I have to write one, that's what I'd want to write it in... and so any hints of how to do such a thing in Perl would be welcome too.

CPAN has lots of audio and MP3 stuff, but most of it seems to be for Unix. I found BrailleAmp, which is command line, but is playlist oriented also, and maybe it could be modified to do what I want, but I don't grok C#, nor do I have a compiler for it.

So the goal is to have a program that takes 2 or more command line parameters, among them an audio file, and an audio device to play it on, that runs under Windows.

Thanks for any info you can provide toward such a goal.