For the benefit of all, Win32::Shortcut seems to work still, at least on W2K. Maybe the work has stopped, cause I'm facing the following issues: 1. The required folders are not automatically created when Save() is used. This is minor and can be solved by called File::Path::mkpath() first. 2. Creating a shortcut to an executable does not seem to work. The shortcut is created, but clicking on the link does not call the application. I manually set an icon to it, and that seems to help. But there should be an easier way to do this. But if the shortcut is to a URL. that's ok.

Correction to my previous post: Creating a shortcut to an application works only if you set the ShowCmd parameter, as in the following example:
$link->{ShowCmd} = SW_SHOWNORMAL;