If it's purely a web-based scenario, chances are both platforms will be just as good, and just as scalable. The key issue is whether the developer (you) can do a better job with the selected tool. Perl can do a wonderful job if you use the right framework, and can be just as lousy if the coding methodologies and documentation are lax.

As for maintainability, again it depends on what are the post-delivery plans: is it going to be you all the way, or are you forwarding it to a maintenance team? In Singapore, it's difficult to find a fair PHP developer, and near impossible to get a real Perl dude.

I don't know much about mod_php, other than it accelerates PHP scripts. But with mod_perl you get to fiddle with parts of the Apache framework itself, including access authentication, uri handling, and more. Do you need to do that?

Hope this helps.

Jaime Teng wrote:
Hi,

I am in the process of planning a huge project.
It will be web based with heavy database accesses.

Since I am have more programming experience with Perl, I prefer using it. However several people have suggested using PHP + MySQL + Apache combo.

If you are given the choice, what will you choose?

a) MySQL + Perl + modPerl + Apache + Linux
or
b) MySQL + PHP + Apache + Linux

I hope you could give me some of the insights I dont know
about the two in terms of program efficiency as well as "maintainability".

regards,
Jaime