[mailto:perl-win32-
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Peter Eisengrein
> Sent: Monday, February 27, 2006 8:12 AM
> To: perl-win32-users@listserv.ActiveState.com
> Subject: RE: I need your opinion: perl vs php
>

> > How wedded are you MySQL ? I personally would use it only for
> > situations where there was a single user connecting at a time
> > (or at most only a few) and data integrity is not important.
> > MySQL lacks too many features of a reliable database for me
> > to trust it.

That is hogwash. There are many large websites using MySQL as a backend.
That may have been true in the 3 series but the 4 and 5 series are
really good.

See http://www.mysql.com/customers/ for a list.

I do not use MySQL, I use Oracle. There isn't anything that would make
me hesitate in using the current stable MySQL version though.

> I don't want to get too far OT but I am in a similar situation as
Jaime and
> was also planning to use MySQL. This is the first time I've seen or
heard
> any comments like this and wanted to "poll the audience" to see what
people
> think and if Greg's sentiments are the norm.
>
> Thanks

MySQL is fine. You are going to get an answer based mostly on the
posters db "prejudice". Pg is more like an "Oracle" where you really
need to have some db knowledge. MySQL is easier to use and admin (IMO).

Perl + MySQL (or Pg) and Template-Toolkit is a very sweet combination.
TT lets you separate design and code. If you are looking at a CGI setup
I would recommend CGI::Application + Template-Toolkit. I have had very
good results using TT alone and with CGI::Application.

Do some research, find out for yourself though.

Robert