[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Since Efficiency seems to be the topic of the day,
>
>       My situation, I have an array filled with 8-character strings, a
> few thousand of them.  First 4 chars are letters, last 4 are numbers.
> Examples - abcd1234, zyxw9876, etcc2222.  The letters portion is a
> prefix, the numbers is a version.  In my list, there are instances of
> the same prefix with different versions.
>
>       What's the easiest way for me to either clean up the existing
> array to remove all but the latest versions of each prefix, or create
> a new array with the same info?  Focus is on least amount of code,
> I'm not going for outright speed.  No modules.  I've got it working
> now but I'm running nested foreach loops and an if statement ... not
> efficient at all.
>
> Example:
> ------------
> @myArray = ("aacs1110", "brbt4332", "rtxa4320", "aacs2000",
> "brig5621", "brbt5220", "nbvc1111")
> ------------
        Sort in descending order(either the whole item or you could sort the
first four ascending and the numeric in descending order) and only use the
first four for whether you take it or bypass the data.

Wags ;0

> The code would give me an array that contained everything except
> aacs1110 & brbt4332 since both have been superseded.
>
> Bill

This message contains information that is confidential
and proprietary to FedEx Freight or its affiliates.
It is intended only for the recipient named and for
the express purpose(s) described therein.
Any other use is prohibited.