Hello,

  Issue:  opening an excel file brings up a dialog box
          stating that the "workbook contains links to
          other data sources" and asks if the data
          should be updated.

  Just-in's suggestion of adding "$Excel->{DisplayAlerts} = 0;"
  to modify the code to be:

      use Win32::OLE qw(in with);
      use Win32::OLE::Const 'Microsoft Excel';

      my $Excel = Win32::OLE->GetActiveObject('Excel.Application') ||
                  Win32::OLE->new('Excel.Application', 'Quit');

         $Excel->{DisplayAlerts} = 0;

      my $Book  = $Excel->Workbooks->Open($file); # open Excel file
      my $Sheet = $Book->Worksheets(1);           # select worksheet number 1

         $Book->Close;

  did not enable the perl code to prevent Excel from bring up
  that dialog box.

  Just-in's other suggestion was "If not you may have to fudge
  something with Win32::GuiTest", but didn't elaborate on
  the "something" ...

  So one thought is to have two threads -- one thread is as
  above;  the other thread periodically searches for
  appearence of the Excel dialog box, and when it finds one,
  uses SendKeys to get rid of the box.

  Before I actually try the above scheme, any critique on
  it? or any other suggestions?

  Thanks,

  --Suresh