Hi Carter

I believe that there are perl modules that just does exactly that, helping
you to escape the generated XML.

In the meantime you can test your output with the (deprecated but still
supported) HTML tag: xmp

so your code XML will look like:
<xmp>
<project    name="foobar"    default="xyz"    basedir="." />
</xmp>

 With Best Regards
Bruno Georges

Glencore International AG
Tel. +41 41 709 3204
Fax +41 41 709 3000

|---------+--------------------------->
|         |           Carter Thompson |
|         |           <[EMAIL PROTECTED]|
|         |           ri.net>         |
|         |                           |
|         |           10.05.06 16:13  |
|         |                           |
|---------+--------------------------->

>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |

  |        To:      Bruno Georges <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                                |
  |        cc:      Perl Users <perl-win32-users@listserv.ActiveState.com>
                                         |
  |        Subject: Re: XML Output to Web
                                         |

  |Distribute:

  |Personal?               |-------|

  |                        | [ ] x |

  |                        |-------|

>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Thanks, Bruno.

I've been using XML::Writer to generate the XML and that works well.
Problem is I need to
display the generated XML code in a browser.   To display the code
you generally need to
escape the special characters, like the '> < &' (&gt, &lt &amp) which
is where I have the problem.
XML::Writer creates well formed XML, which is great, but I need to
create XML for displaying
in a browser.

So, instead of generating this:

<project    name="foobar"    default="xyz"    basedir="." />

I need this:

&ltproject    name="foobar"    default="xyz"    basedir="." /&gt

I've looked at most of the modules you've listed but I haven't yet
found one that generates
escaped XML.

Guess I'll keep looking or write the XML myself.

Thanks again.

Carter.