Dilemma,

        I have many scripts that have to hit every machine in my domain
.. about 2400.  I can't use Net::Ping to test the alive status of the
boxes because our internal DNS system is a real PITA to clean up and
using as-is will leave me with bad results.

        For now, I'm doing a write test:  if (open (WRITETEST,
">c:\write.test")) { &doSomething(); } ... but the timeout on such a
test, if the machine its trying to reach is not available, is just too
long.

        Anyone have a way of me testing the connectivity to a computer
on the network that allows me to either configure the timeout or has one
between 1 and 2 seconds?

Bill in Brooklyn