The other option is to "compile" / package the Perl script into a stand alone executable -- which could then be readily run from a CD -- without having to address getting all of the Perl environment and path variables right.

There are two solutions for "compiling" / packaging Perl scripts:  (1) ActiveState's Perl Dev Kit -- which you must license for a fee and (2) PAR (Perl Archive Toolkit) which is an open source tool released on CPAN.  PAR comes with a ulitilty, "PP" which will create a stand alone Win32 executable from a Perl script / Perl installation.

For info on AS's Perl Dev Kit, see the following URL.

http://www.activestate.com/Products/Perl_Dev_Kit/?mp=1

For info on PAR, see the follwing URLs.

http://search.cpan.org/~smueller/PAR-0.942/lib/PAR.pm
http://search.cpan.org/~smueller/PAR-0.942/script/pp

You can get Win32 PPMs for *current versions* of PAR from Randy Kobes' U Winnipeg PPM repository and from the Bribes PPM repository.  See the following.

http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/
http://www.bribes.org/perl/ppm/

ActiveState's own repository seems to have problems with creating PPMs from the PAR CPAN distributions.   My experience is that PPMs for new versions of PAR are routinely available on the Kobes and Bribes repositories within a few days of the release on CPAN.

I intentionally quoted "complile" Perl script because ActiveState Perl Dev Kit and PAR are different.   While both produce stand alone executables under Windows, I'm sure that Jan Dubois and the others at ActiveState can legitimately / correctly document how Perl Dev Kit produces much more optimized Win32 executables than does PAR / PP.  In fact, the PP documentation states that it does not compile the source.  It just bundles everything into a runtime executable.

Regards,

D. Dewey Allen

"Michael D. Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

07/25/2006 01:31 PM

<perl-win32-users@listserv.ActiveState.com>
cc
Subject
Re: PERL on a CD

Is it possible to burn PERL and a script onto a CD and execute it from
there without installing perl on the host computer?

There would be nothing in the registry. The path to perl.exe would have to
be included for the script to execute -- but beyond that, I'm a blank.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Actually, it would be unknown if PERL were installed on the host computer
or not -- is there any way to check first? -- as it would definitely
execute quicker off the hard drive than off a CD.

TIA

ms