I see what ur saying and actually agree with u.  But PerlIO automatically
(this is one automatic thing I don't like) translates between CRLF and LF on
Windows systems.  As Jan said setting binmode() will solve ur problem.

I personally feel that binmode should be the default everywhere and it
should be the programmer's responsibility to decide how to interpret the new
line sequences.  FYI there are three possible new line sequences, CR, CRLF,
and LF, depending on what system ur on.  In this day and age it's no longer
useful to assume what kind of new line sequences u have based on ur system
type.  U might very well have to deal with all three at the same time or a
contrary type to ur system's native type.

It would be nice if there were a :text IO layer that would automatically
determine the new line sequence of a particular text file and do the
translation, or not, automatically.  Currently u have to do an obnoxious
manual inspection of the file to know what $/ is. *cough*Jan*cough* ;)

HTH

--
REMEMBER THE WORLD TRADE CENTER         ---=< WTC 911 >=--
"...ne cede malis"

00000100