Santhosh Kulandaiyan wrote:
> Hello,   I would like to know your comments about this issue that i am
> facing. I have downloaded the 64 bit perl from active state and i am
> trying to run my perl script on this 64 bit perl engine (in Windows
> x64). The perl script refers to Win32::API module.
>
> I tried to copy the 32 bit Win32::API.pm into the c:\Perl64\lib\Win32
> folder. But when i try to run the script (perl -c myscript.pl), it
> throws an error saying : "Unable to load the perl module".

This will not work.  32-bit DLLs cannot be loaded into 64-bit processes.

> I would assume this is because the perl module was taken from a 32 bit
> machine.
>
> Is there any 64 bit version of Win32::API.pm available? Does it even
> make sense to ask if Win32(!!).API would have a 64 bit version..

Yes, it makes sense to have a 64-bit version of Win32::API.  Win32 nowadays
is just a name for the API; it is used even for the 64-bit Windows API.

Unfortunately the Win32::API module doesn't compile on Win64 right now.

Note that 32-bit Perl runs just fine on 64-bit Windows.  The main caveat
being that 32-bit programs see a redirected filesystem and registry,
so you may not be able to see _all_ parts of the local system.  But
depending on what your script is doing it may not matter.

There is also no problem installing both 32-bit and 64-bit Perl on the
same machine (into different directories).  But of course only
one of them can be first in the PATH, so will have to invoke the
non-default version with a full pathname.

Cheers,
-Jan