----- Original Message -----
From: "Barry Brevik" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <perl-win32-users@listserv.ActiveState.com>
Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2008 7:36 AM
Subject: Problem with lanman

> I'm runing Perl v5.8.8 build 819 on Windows XP. I'm all excited about a
> couple of books I bought: Win32 Perl Programming the Standard
> Extensions, and Win32 Perl Scripting the Administrator's Handbook.
>
> Some of the sample code from the book have:
>
>  use Win32::NetAdmin;
>
> ...at the beginning of the program. I have no trouble with those
> programs.
>
> However, some of the examples have:
>
>  use Win32::Lanman;
>
> The very presence of that line causes my program to crash immediately
> with that ubiquitous Windows 2-tone gray dialog saying that Perl has
> committed a heinous crime, etc. Perl itself never issues any error
> despite "use strict; use warnings;", and the cmd window is never closed.

How did you install it ?
There's a PPM for it at the bribes repository that could be worth a try
(assuming it's not what you've already got).

Just:

  ppm remove Win32-Lanman

and then:

  ppm install http://www.bribes.org/perl/ppm/Win32-Lanman.ppd

There's also a PPM (at the same repository) for Win32API::Net which,
according to its description is a "Perl interface to the Windows NT
LanManager API account management functions". It could be worth trying as an
alternative to Win32::Lanman if all else fails:

   ppm install http://www.bribes.org/perl/ppm/Win32API-Net.ppd

Cheers,
Rob