I have a simple 10 line ascii text file:

line1CRLF

line2CRLF

.

line10CRLF

where CRLF is really two bytes (hex 0d)(hex0a).

I use IO::Socket as basis for a client program.

my program opens the above referenced file (for read), then reads each line
of the file, then sends each record read out through the socket.

at the same time, as I read the lines, I write them to a local log file.

the point of this exercise is to see why the data sent through the socket
DOES NOT MATCH the data sent to the local log file.

in the local log file, the written file size exactly matches the file size
of the originally read file.  all bytes are identically preserved, to
include each CRLF byte pair.

however, I use 'wireshark' to monitor the client/server communication here
and it is able to capture all tcp data being sent through my used port
number.  wireshark then can save to disk the captured data packet.  I
discovered that something here seems to be amiss regarding the CRLF byte
pair.  'wireshark' captured transmitted data reveals that only the LF byte
was being sent!!!!!  somehow the CR byte does NOT get transmitted.

this has been preventing my client program from being able to work properly
with the backend IIS web server.

can anyone elaborate as to why this might be happening?  ive reviewed the
IO::socket documentation and do not see any mention of this behaviour.

im pretty puzzled.

thanks.

greg