On a Windows system at the command prompt
if you type in the command SET
This will display a list of environment variables available on the system
and accessible via $ENV{'%variable%'}
%SystemDrive% == $ENV{'SystemDrive'}
%SystemRoot% == $ENV{'SystemRoot'}
This is standard across windows platform (now I cant confirm this for
Windows 95,98, me)

Tony B. Okusanya
Windows Standards Group