Hi.  The "right way" to retrieve this kind of information is from WMI.  If u
never used it download Scriptomatic from Microsoft and start exploring.  I
don't think it flat out tells u the information ur looking for but I think u
can figure it out by cross referencing some things.  The branches u'll
probably be interested in are Win32_OperatingSystem, Win32_LogicalDisk*, and
Win32_Disk*.  But be careful to differentiate between the system device and
the boot device.  They're not necessarily the same thing and u can get
burned by Microsoft's obtuse terminology and numbering system.  For example
on my system, what boot.ini calls disk 0 part 1, is really disk 1 part 0.
Some branches use the latter numbering, others the former. *shakes fist*

--
REMEMBER THE WORLD TRADE CENTER         ---=< WTC 911 >=--
"...ne cede malis"

00000100