From: Sisyphus [mailto:sisyph...@optusnet.com.au]
Sent: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 1:17 AM
To: Geoff Horsnell; perl-win32-users@listserv.ActiveState.com
Subject: Re: perl error message

----- Original Message -----
From: "Geoff Horsnell" <ge...@horsnell.freeserve.co.uk>

> I have just downloaded and installed Perl 5.8.9 for Win32. When I try to
> "compile" a binary, I get the following error message.

> Use of uninitialized value in numeric eq (==) at /<C:\Program
> Files\ActiveState Perl Dev Kit 7.3\bin\lib\pdklib.dll>PDK/Util.pm line
> 147.

That's just a warning ... it may or may not indicate a problem.

> Win32::BuildNumber not consistent with perl -v

If I check Win32::BuildNumber, I get the following:

####################
C:\_32>perl  -wle "print Win32::BuildNumber"
825
####################

and, if I run 'perl -v' I get:

####################
C:\_32>perl -v

Copyright 1987-2008, Larry Wall

Binary build 825 [288577] provided by ActiveState http://www.ActiveState.com
Built Dec 14 2008 21:07:41

Perl may be copied only under the terms of either the Artistic License or
the
GNU General Public License, which may be found in the Perl 5 source kit.

this system using "man perl" or "perldoc perl".  If you have access to the
Internet, point your browser at http://www.perl.org/, the Perl Home Page.
####################

Note that in both cases the same build number (825) is quoted.
The message you're getting suggests that Win32::BuildNumber and perl -v are
reporting different numbers. Are they ?
If so, then you've got a problem with multiple versions of perl and there's
something seriously wrong with your perl installation or environment
settings. If not, then I don't know what the message is about :-)

Cheers,
Rob

Want to find out when you can get an iPhone with Orange? Register at
http://www.orange.co.uk/iphone and we'll let you know.