forgive my ignorance here, but I thought single quoted, or apostrophized
[however you call this character] (') text strings were supposed to be
interpreted by perl in an unaltered manner.

sample code, indicating how to reference a named pipe in the Win32::Pipe
module, shows something like this.

"\\\\.\\pipe\\pipename <file:///\\\pipe\pipename> " (note enclosed in
quotes)

I thought the excessive quantities of backslashes seemed silly, so I instead
used single quotes and tried.

'\\.\pipe\pipename' (note enclosed in apostrophies)

only to find that my client pipe program did not work.

I then did a simple test print program;

print '\\.\pipe\pipename';

and I was surprised to see what actually printed to the screen was instead;

\.\pipe\pipename (note the first \ is not shown in output!)

this explained why my client pipe program was working.

but it left me scratching my head to ask, "why is the backslash character
being interpreted as a special perl operator when it is found within
apostrophies?"

I thought that only happened when the backslash is found within quotes, such
as (print "\x43"), which should print a capital C

thanks in advance to anyone who can explain this to me.