On 12/16/2010 12:01 PM, Spencer Chase wrote:
> TK has been gone for a while now. TKX is a lot better for new
> applications but converting old scripts is a lot of work for anything
> not short and simple. I have to maintain duplicate installations to be
> able to maintain my old TK stuff and it is a real challenge to keep
> everything working. Every time I upgrade perl I cringe with the
> anticipation of what will no longer work.
>
> I do understand that it is a good idea to upgrade to TKX but I have
> dozens of old applications that need occasional attention and are not
> worth the conversion to TKX. I would love to see good old TK back again.
>
> On 12/16/2010 5:02 AM, Brian Raven wrote:
>> I have Activestate Perl 5.12.2 (build 1202) installed. I can see some Tk
>> extension packages in the PPM gui, but no sign of Tk itself.
>>
>> Is there a problem, or is just me looking in the wrong place?

Gone in the sense that Activestate is not building ppm's for it.  Slaven
announced Tk 804.029 back in May, granted it's more of a maintenance
release. You can still build it via CPAN although I haven't tried that
on ActivePerl.  I never could figure out how to get a full mimic of
Tk::Hlist and the adjuster widget going so I just stick with Tk for
now.  I think on Strawberry 5.10 it was as simple as install Tk, but
there were a couple of build issues on 5.12 (as Jeff Hobbs mentioned to
the mailing list while I was writing this email :) )