Thanks.  That should do the trick

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Raven [mailto:bra...@nyx.com]
Sent: Wednesday, 13 April 2011 18:44
To: Ashley Hoff; perl-win32-users@listserv.ActiveState.com
Subject: RE: Writing To Win Event Logs using Win32::EventLog

From: perl-win32-users-boun...@listserv.activestate.com
[mailto:perl-win32-users-boun...@listserv.activestate.com] On Behalf Of
Ashley Hoff
Sent: 13 April 2011 07:56
To: perl-win32-users@listserv.ActiveState.com
Subject: Writing To Win Event Logs using Win32::EventLog

> Hello,
> First time reader, first time poster.
> I am trying to use Win32::EventLog to write out to the Windows Event
> Log (via the $handle->Report() method) and am having issues with
getting the description (as viewed by the windows Event Viewer) right.
> Initially, I was getting the standard Windows message "The description

> for Event ID ( n ) in Source ( My
> Source) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary

> registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a
> remote computer....." message.  I hacked the registry under
> "Hkey_Local_Machine=>System=>CurrentControlSet=>Services=>EventLog=>Ap
> plication=>My Source" to include the
> following: EventMessageFile = %SystemRoot%\System32\EventCreate.exe.
> (Well, it wasn't really a hack.  In my Perl script, I sent a simple
information event to the log, using EventCreate via a cmd call, which
registered > the above).
> While this has worked to get rid of the above message and the
> additional information I want included, I am now > getting the box
> standard MS response "For more information, see Help and Support
Center at > http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.";  While this one
is less confusing then the above, it's probably something that I would
rather not be there.
> I also tried to hack the registry using the PerlMsg.dll, but this
didn't work (I had a return to the original > message) and was simply a
guess and a real long shot.
> I am using the ActivePerl 5.8.9 distribution.  I also have PDK V9
> available.  This is all installed on a Windows XP SP3 box.
> Does anyone have any advice/methods on getting exactly what I want
written to the Event Logs?
> Cheers and thanks in advance.
> Ashley

This link may help.

http://www.perlmonks.org/?node_id=737505

HTH

--
Brian Raven

you are not the intended recipient or have received this e-mail in
error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete
this message and any attachments without retaining a copy.

Any unauthorised copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in
this e-mail is strictly forbidden.

- --------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disclaimer:
Confidentiality:
This message contains privileged and/or confidential information intended only
for the use of the addressee named above.
If you are not the intended recipient of this message you are hereby notified
that you must not disseminate, re-transmit, copy or take any action in reliance
on it. If you have received this message in error please delete the document
and notify Data Action immediately.
Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except
where the sender specifically states them to be the views of Data Action.
Viruses:
Any loss/damage incurred by using this material is not the sender's
responsibility. Data Actions' entire liability will be limited to resupplying
the material. No warranty is made that this material is free from computer
virus or any other defect.