hi all, ive got a wonderfully working activeperl 5.8.9 environment
that was originall setup on Windows XP.

so that i dont need to reinstall the many, many packages that ive
ammased throughout the years - i had the thought to simply copy my
entire 'perl' folder from the older windows xp pc to my newer windows
7 pc.

certainly this will move perl and all packages just fine...

the problem with this, is i dont know how to preserve the built-in PPM
database functionality.

originally i had 5.8.8 and only one file:

   C:\Documents and Settings\GAiken\Local Settings\Application
Data\ActiveState\ActivePerl\ppm-MSWin32-x86-multi-thread-5_8.db

at some point in time, i ran a 5.8.9 install ON TOP OF my 5.8.8
installation, and from that point on, the PPM folder structure somehow
changed to become 3 files:

   C:\Documents and Settings\GAiken\Local Settings\Application
Data\ActiveState\ActivePerl\ppm-MSWin32-x86-multi-thread-5_8.db
   C:\Documents and Settings\GAiken\Local Settings\Application
Data\ActiveState\ActivePerl\ppm-MSWin32-x86-multi-thread-5_8.db-journal
   C:\Documents and Settings\GAiken\Local Settings\Application
Data\ActiveState\ActivePerl\820\ppm-MSWin32-x86-multi-thread-5_8.db

I am suspecting that there is truly just one 'master database file', that being:

   C:\Documents and Settings\GAiken\Local Settings\Application
Data\ActiveState\ActivePerl\ppm-MSWin32-x86-multi-thread-5_8.db

does anyone have any first hand knowledge here what i would do, to
somehow utilize my old .db file on the new windows 7 pc?

i am thinking i can run the 5.8.9 install to the new windows 7 pc,
then see if i can determine where the new *.db file gets created - and
then possibly just 'swap out' the newly created *.db file with my
original *.db file?

i guess i have nothing to loose by trying this, but it would be nice
if someone has walked this path before me, and can tell me which
branches to duck under - so to speak...

greg