[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Ian. D. Stewart wrote:
>
> >  From "ASP in a Nutshell", p. 27:
> requests
> server's
> explicitly
> >>
> >> The Application object contains a collection of all global variables.
>
> Errr... no.
>
> The Application object can have any COM compatible object added to it's
> collection
>
>   eg $Application->Contents()->SetProperty("Item",$name,$value);
>
> which you can later recall
>
>   eg $value = $Application->Contents()->Item($name);

This seems to me to pretty well define a global variable (i.e., a
variable that, once defined is accessible from anywhere within the
application).  Is there another mechanism used to access "global"
variables (asking 'cause I don't know)?

> (and yes, I'm assuming ASP v2 or greater, APS v1 has a subtly different object
> model)
>
> But no way does it magically recall the main:: namespace, the other namespaces
> just initialised in BEGIN blocks, thje implicit value of scalar ".." operations
> etc. etc,.

What does happen to these?  Do they go out of scope once you leave the
page?  Perhaps we should then talk about "script-global" vs.
"application-global" (I'm guessing that "script-global" would be what MS
refers to as "session scope"

> ASP is a nice object model, but really it is a very simple environment ('simple'
> as in "doesn't do very much, NOT 'simple' as in "doesn't contain lots of bugs
> and gotchas that need careful workarounds').
>
> Whereas UNIX-based people think "Hey, it would be really stupid and childish to
> publish and advertise a technology that did XXX and YYY unless it inherently did
> ZZZ, AAA and BBB silently as well", I'm sorry, but Microsoft aren't hindered by
> such fundamental ethics...

What exactly are these "ZZZ, AAA and BBB" that ASP doesn't do, but
should?  I'm just getting started with ASP, and if there are any
pitfalls I should be aware of, I sure would appreciate a heads-up...

Ian

--
99 little bugs in the code, 99 bugs in the code.
Fix one bug, compile again, 100 little bugs in the code.

---
You are currently subscribed to perl-win32-users as: [archive@jab.org]