IIRC, of course it can't work.
SSI works via the web server replacing the SSI directives when serving out
the pages.
CGI works by sending the output directly to the browser. So the web server
has no chance
to process the SSI directives.

If the only directive you are usinf is 'include', what I did was to write a
sub-routine
to simulate the directive. (Take in a filename as parameter and print out
the contents
of the file.)

Alan Swan