Norris, Joseph wrote:
> Here is the situation: I am on an network of windows boxes with apache
> running on one of the boxes. I have my web apps there with perl/mysql etc..
> I want to build a script that will be run in the users login script that
> will take the username via $ENV{USERNAME} and build a cookie do a request to
> the server so that the cookie will be built on the users box containing the
> user's USERNAME, so that I can use cgi->cookie and know who is there. What I
> have attempted so far. I have a cookie built on the opening page of my
> intranet site. The cookie contains a bogus value. In the login script I had
> a script that runs out and finds the cookie file no matter where it is on
> the user's disk, slurps it and writes it back out with the $ENV{USERNAME}. I
> use all the same delimiters for records etc and the file looks exactly the
> same (or so I think) as the original cookie file. However the browser spots
> the different fast - won't access the cookie and then trashes even when I
> set expire to 01/01/2045. Any and all observations appreciated.

I would just use HTTP basic authentication - they only have to login once
and they can have their browser remember the login if they wish (for later
instantiations of the browser).

--
   ,-/-  __      _  _         $Bill Luebkert   ICQ=162126130
  (_/   /  )    // //       DBE Collectibles   Mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]