Eric ranted:

My book catalog excels at inventorying my collection. It does a very poor
job at recommending/suggesting what book(s) to use. The solution is not with
more powerful search features, nor is it with bibliographic instruction. The
solution is lies in better, more robust data, as well as access to the full
text. This is not just a problem with my catalog. It is a problem with
online public access catalogs everywhere, but I deviate. I'm off topic. All
of this is fodder for my book catalog's About text.

I have finished writing my tiny book catalog. It only contains a brain-dead acquisitions module and a searching interface. I have also completed the About text where I rail against the idea of catalog as inventory list, and I have made the software available:

http://infomotions.com/books/?cmd=about

--
Eric Lease Morgan